Services at The St Pancras and Somers Town Living Centre
We have been working hard to ensure the programme of activities that The St Pancras and Somers Town Living Centre provides is what the community have asked for. Below is an overview of the services the centre provides, with more to be added.
At the St Pancras and Somers Town Living Centre, Healthwatch Camden provides information, both face-to-face and via their “Signposting” service. Signposting refers to a range of activities at The Living Centre, which are designed to help people to find and use services or local resources that support their wellbeing.
When you visit The Living Centre, you can:
- Talk to reception staff – they will be able to answer some of your basic queries
- Search Start here, Healthwatch Camden’s online guide to finding and using services
- Talk to Healthwatch Camden representatives who can give you more information
- Talk to Health Advocates – trained volunteers who can help you find the right help for you
- Ask to be referred to more specialist help – we can put you in touch with advocacy services and other support.
The Somers Town Job Hub
The Somers Town Job Hub is housed within the centre and offers the following services:
- Employment advice on a one-to-one and group basis
- The opportunity to find out about job vacancies, apprenticeships and volunteering roles
- Join employability-related clubs, activities and training courses
- Access support for application forms, CVs and interview techniques
- Find out about other support and advice services linked to employment situation (e.g. healthcare, childcare, language, welfare and benefits)
- Meet and exchange experiences with people in similar circumstances
Providing free confidential independent advice to people who live, work or study in Camden, inclusive of advice on welfare benefits, debt, housing, employment, fuel debts and consumer problems.
You can also telephone Citizens Advice Camden Adviceline on 0300 330 1157 Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm or go to www.camdencabservice.org.uk for more information on open door sessions and self-help information.
Voluntary Action Camden recruits and trains local people to volunteer in Camden GP practices. These Community Health Advocates promote community based services and activities that contribute to a healthier lifestyle. The Community Health Advocates develop local knowledge which makes them an important link between communities and health service commissioners.
Ageing Better in Camden
We Are Ageing Better is an innovative project for people aged 60+ aimed at tackling loneliness and isolation in the ward of St Pancras and Somers Town. The project is co-designed by local older people who are at the centre of everything we do. Our members make decisions about what events and activities are fun for the local community and so use the skills and expertise they have built up during their lifetime. New ideas and thoughts are always welcome! The project is open to anyone aged over 60 who lives, works or socialises in the ward of St Pancras and Somers Town. We Are Ageing Better is part of the Ageing Better Camden project, funded by the Big Lottery. For more information call Jess Grieve, Project Coordinator on 07919 598375 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Courses and workshops
The centre is working closely with WMC – The Camden College, the British Library and New Horizon Youth Centre to deliver new exciting courses / workshops / initiatives, which will commence in Spring 2017. Training Link also provide services at the centre, including spoken English classes and Employability.
Sports Activators Programme
The Sports Activators Programme is located in the centre and continues to deliver its amazing programme, whilst gaining access to this larger space.
We currently offer Boxercise on Monday evenings from 6 to 7 pm (£2 per session), and Tai Chi/ Chi Kung on Tuesday mornings from 11 to 12.30 (free) at the Living Centre.
We are working closely with Camden Children Centre Services to develop a new under-fives programme to support local families.
A healthy eating activity workshop will be starting on Thursday mornings from 20th April 2017. We are also looking to setup Stay and Play sessions, so watch this space for start dates and further information.
Peri Natal: Monday from 10am to 6pm.
Mindful Yoga: starting 11th January 3pm to 4pm
Civitas Schools: starting Thursdays 4th January 5.30pm to 7.30pm and Saturday 13th January 9.30am to 6.30pm